Kayaking is an amazing outdoor activity that can be practiced as a recreational activity as well as an adventure sport by people of all ages. Because of this, the popularity of kayaking has increased drastically over the years. Apart from adults, kids can also enjoy kayaking. In fact, there are exclusive kayaks and other related equipment available in a wide variety for children.
Exclusive Kayaks for Kids
Nowadays, many parents introduce kayaking to their kids at a very early age. In some cases, parents even take their toddlers with them for kayaking so that they can share the joyride of their parent’s kayaks. But, kids start demanding their own kayaks as they grow up. In such cases, parents find it hard to pick the right kayak for their children. That’s why it is important to know that there are special kayaks designed for kids that not only are easier but also more fun to ride.
Sit-on-top kayak is the best type available for kids. This is because it offers greater security as it more stable as compared to most other types. Furthermore, there is no cockpit as on a sit-in kayak, so it is easier to get into and get out of. It is also worth mentioning that some of the best sit on top kayaks for kids offer far superior handling than other types.
When it comes to safety and convenience, sit-on-top kayaks are second to none. For example, if the kayak capsizes, kids can easily get out of it as they would only have to tilt it. As compared to this, kids must learn specific maneuvers in order to get into/get out of the cockpit of a sit-in kayak.
Features to Look for in a Kid’s Kayak
There is a wide variety of kayaks available nowadays that can be used by parents as well as children, making them the perfect family kayaks. However, it is important that you consider some specific features while purchasing an exclusive kid’s kayak. Following are some basic features to look for:
- A kid paddle.
- Ergonomic bow and stern grab handles.
- Easy to adjust thigh and foot braces. Generally, kids’ kayaks contain molded foot wells.
- Gear strap so that the dry bag can be secured.
- Normally, kayaks for kids are smaller in size as compared to normal kayaks. As a parent, you must make sure that the kayaks you are buying for your kids have enough speed so that they could keep up with your kayak.
- Stability is very important aspect in a kid’s kayak. So make sure to always choose the ones that have tri-form hull as they offer decent primary stability.
- It is recommended that you purchase an inflatable kayak for kids. They are stable and virtually impossible to capsize. They are also lightweight so kids can easily carry it by themselves. Other good options include fiberglass and plastic.
These are the most important aspects you should keep in mind while buying a kayak for your little one.Having the best kayak for your kids will make their kayak-related activities more enjoyable.